29 January 2010


This is a Taste of Home recipe I tried last night that we absolutely loved. You can't access the original recipe online unless you are a subscriber of Taste of Home, so I can't give you the link, but here is my amended recipe.

Creamy Turkey Curry with Summer Vegetables

Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
½ tsp curry powder
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup milk
1 small yellow squash, sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced
½ small onion, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups turkey breast, cooked and cubed
4 servings rice, cooked

Directions:
In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and curry until smooth. Gradually add broth and milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.

In a large skillet, sauté the squash, zucchini, and onion in oil until desired tenderness. Add turkey and reserved sauce; heat through. Serve over hot rice.

Makes 4 servings.


This is so tasty! And super easy to prepare. It was originally meant to use up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, but since I didn't have that, I used a can of cooked turkey breast from the store (right next to the tuna). If you don't have to cook the turkey, this dish comes together very quickly.

I made only two tiny changes. The original recipe called for grated lemon peel and a garnish of chopped cashews. I didn't think the lemon peel went with curry that well and I don't care for chopped nuts on my food, so I left them out.

Even though they are out-of-season, the zucchini and squash are so good in this. They were teeny tiny. I can't wait to try it when they are in season.

A note about the chicken broth: I used regular chicken broth for this. If you are using reduced-sodium, you might want to check it towards the end to see if it needs salt.

This is definitely going into my regular dinner rotation!

Tagged: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment