19 January 2009



This recipe comes from my new favorite book, Perfect Vegetables.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into ¼” thickness
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp milk
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat and mash in the pan with a potato masher.
Season with pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.


In the book, it calls for cream, but I didn't have any, so I used 2% milk instead. Turned out just fine. These are really good. The sweetness of the potatoes comes through nicely without being too sweet. Makes a great alternative to regular mashed potatoes.


I served them with Sage Parmesan Turkey Tenderloin and roasted asparagus.

Tagged: , ,

1 comment:

  1. I'm craving some of your cooking! I made a yucky supper tonight and ended up eating green beans and pop corn.

    ReplyDelete