11 January 2010



This is a recipe I saved a while ago from BHG.com and made the other night.

Mashed Potatoes with Spinach

Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes
½ cup sour cream (I use lowfat)
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tbsp chives
5 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°. Peel and dice potatoes. In a medium pot, boil potatoes in salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash. Add sour cream, butter, and chives; mash again until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in spinach. Transfer to a 1½ quart casserole. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts (calculated using regular sour cream and real butter)
Calories 306
Fat 17g
Sat. Fat 11g
Cholesterol 44mg
Sodium 200mg
Carbohydrate 30g
Fiber 5g
Protein 11g


We love mashed potatoes and spinach, so this dish was right up our alley. I didn't find much to change about it. The original recipe made 12 servings, so I halved it. I found that halving the recipe made four servings for us, instead of 6. Like I said, we love our mashed potatoes! I recalculated the nutrition info to match the bigger portion size, but not to reflect using lowfat sour cream instead of regular.

A note on the chives: I don't usually have fresh on hand, but I have freeze-dried chives from Penzey's. I soaked them in a bit of warm water before adding to the potatoes to make sure they were soft. I didn't want little crunchy bits in there. It worked really well.


Just before going into the oven.


Ready to serve. Yum! (I really need to get a new round baking dish! See the lovely chips and cracks in mine?)

Tagged: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment